Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Journals - Week 2

I began to build the site using Adobe Dream-weaver. I selected a few images to create a header which captured a 'slice' of the market. This was a fairly challenging task. The church has a stunning old window at the rear, which I considered may be eye-catching.
I looked into viable options for hosting. This is an area I had no experience, so I am pleased to get the opportunity to learn this vital and essential aspect of putting up a website. I found a great range of options, and informed Mary that it would be better to pay for a service than have some unknown advertisements associated with your site. I found a London based server, operating from Kerry with reasonable rates. I found this to be especially useful as I was able to discuss our needs and requirements from the server, face to face with the person offering the server space.
I had also discussed with Mary the relevance of choosing the correct, or best domain name. She decided upon www.milltownmarket.com. I took a few alternatives, in case that one wasn't available. Fortunately it was free.


It was my plan to get a basic single-page advertisement site up and running by the end of this week. I also designed a poster this week. There had been a poster done previously, yet it didn't really paint it in the best light. It was dark and blurred. The poster turned out well, due to using a simple image of the old church on a blue-skied and sunny day. The poster is to be distributed in local towns and villages.
I decided to use a digital image of the poster to use as the site advertisement (informing any would be visitors of the upcoming site-construction). Mary required the advertisement of Potato seeds to be included, due to them coming into season at this time.
I visited the Saturday market again this week, to meet some more of the stall-holders, as they differ week by week. I collected many more images.

No comments:

Post a Comment